- Nova Scotia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- British Columbia
- Alaska (USA)
Ages: 0 – 4
Order from Chapters/Indigo*
SAMPLE Review: Alberta Lullaby
From the Publisher:
From the sun painted Rocky Mountains to bison, badlands, dinosaurs, the Calgary Stampede and more, this beautifully illustrated board book for young children joins the series of Baby Lullaby books that highlight the various provinces of Canada. A highly anticipated addition to the best-selling series, Alberta Lullaby celebrates the breathtaking beauty of Alberta, combining gorgeous paintings with a soothing ballad.
This is a delightful series to read to young kids ages 0-4. Babies will enjoy hearing the lyrical text read aloud as they view the vibrant illustrations by Joyce Steuerwald. The text is sparse and very generally describes the illustrations and continues to circle back to the comforting and loving phrase “you mean the world to me”. However, the text is well suited to a lullaby book and is detailed enough to be both soothing and effectively describe the landscape. The book profiles various geographical areas (e.g. the Rocky Mountains, the Badlands, and the Plains) as well as events and traditions (e.g. the Calgary Stampede, winter sports), etc. The importance of Alberta First Nations is included (e.g. Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park and mention of Cree and Blackfoot traditions and legends). An added bonus to the book are the end pages providing more detail about each page of illustrations. The further details are both informative for the adult reader (giving context and a brief history) and effective as a launching pad for further study for toddlers and pre-kindergarten in a guided fashion. The end pages add a layer of richness that help this title stand out from the crowd.
Bonus: They have created a WONDERFUL video to accompany [each] book in the series and have posted them to YouTube. See the Alberta one below and find the rest here. The videos utilize the text and images from the books, and the melodies are stunning and reflect the culture of the province profiled in the books. Listenting/watching adds rich depth to the reading/learning experience. Highly recommended!
All three of my toddler children love these books and have asked for them to be read many times. I have gone over the information in the end pages with them, and now, they can accurately point out the locations and activities on each page. I highly recommend this series for anyone living in any of the provinces, or as a way to get to know Canada better.
- informative end pages providing further context for each page within the book
- light and soothing text that describes the scene without being bogged down with details (perfectly fits the intent of a lullaby book)
- lyrical text that can be sung (listen to the video song, or make up your own)
- breadth of coverage for each province
- includes and honours First Nations/Indigenous peoples within the province
Why/How Use the Books with Kids:
- view the accompanying YouTube video to hear/see the words set to music in a style that represents the culture of the particular province – learning about the musical style of the area.
- research some other music that is specific to that province
- identify the specific landmarks within the illustrations. What makes each one unique or special to that province? Find out more about any with which you are unfamiliar
- further study unique aspects to the particular province (learning about history, geography, topography, etc.)
- read or sing the book to your child before naps or bedtime in a soothing, gentle tone to help ease into sleep
About Baby Lullaby:
Established in 2013 by writer and book designer Lynn McCarron, Baby Lullaby makes gorgeous baby books that combine beautiful paintings with soothing and culturally authentic lullabies. The business grew out of Lynn’s desire to make the books she had always wanted for her own babies, honouring their native surroundings through art and music. With an extensive background in the publishing business, she decided to start her own company so that she could be in charge of all the elements of design, from choosing the subjects to hiring the writers and illustrators. Her husband, singer-songwriter Keith Andrews, made the perfect partner for the business as writer and producer of the accompanying music…These days, the whole family gets involved in one way or another. “Our children play some of the instruments and sing on some of the lullabies. Our oldest son turns the books into videos for the Facebook pages. It’s definitely become the family business!” (from website)